Before you can use your email account on iPad – you need to add your account to Mail.
- Tap Mail
- Select your account type. Tap Other if your account is not listed.
- Enter your account information and tap Save. Mail configures most email accounts automatically. Otherwise, you will be prompted for any additional settings.
- Once your account information is saved – you can start sending and receiving email.
You can configure additional accounts by tapping Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account
If you experience any difficulty in sending and receiving email – continue to the next step in the assistant.
Check your connection by using Safari to open a web page. If you are connecting with Wi-Fi, note that many public Wi-Fi networks require users to sign in to use the service.
To turn off Wi-Fi, tap Settings > Wi-Fi.
If you are still unable to connect to the internet, this troubleshooting assistant can help.
Resolve multiple device lock-out
Using two or more devices to access the same email account sometimes creates a lock-out issue that is easily solved.
Some steps you can take to prevent this from occurring are not leaving your computer’s mail application open, and increasing the interval to fetch mail on your computer and iPad. To change this setting on iPad go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data.
For more information, see this article.
Check SMTP settings
- Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Under Accounts, tap the account from which you’re trying to send mail. You may need to tap your account more than once.
- Under Outgoing Mail Server, tap SMTP.If you don’t see Outgoing Mail Server, you may need to tap your account once more first.
- Tap the SMTP server for your email account and verify the settings are correct.
- If you have multiple email accounts on iPad, try using an SMTP server from another account. Tap the SMTP account and Select On on the On/Off slider.
Set up account directly on iPad
Mail settings may vary between computers and mobile devices. If you’ve synced your email account using iTunes, setting it up directly on your iPad will help ensure you have the correct settings in place.
Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and then tap your email provider.
If you already have an account on your iPad, tap Add Account, then tap your email provider.
When you enter your email address, iPad will look up your service provider’s settings for you. If iPad can’t find your service provider’s settings, this article can help you obtain the necessary account settings from your provider.
To restart iPad, first turn iPad off by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button until a red slider appears. Slide your finger across the slider and iPad will turn off after a few moments.
Next, turn iPad on by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.